Tuesday, October 5, 2010

First stories and characters

Every writer has to start somewhere.  So what was you first story about?  What sort of characters did you have?

In high school, I used to write little scenes in class (most often when we had a substitute teacher in).  They weren't very good at all, and often didn't make any sort of real sense.

The characters in them were would you would call "cardboard cutouts".  Almost every one of them was a clone of some character I had read in a book.  At that time, I was reading a lot of Robert Asprin, Douglas Adams, and Terry Pratchett.  So, the characters were basically rip-offs of them, with a few, minor changes so that I could consider them "my own".

I suppose you could call those early stories a sort of fan fiction, but it wasn't entirely intentional.  I didn't try to add to the already established settings like you would do in a "true" fan fiction.  I actually was trying to make my own stories; I just didn't know how to do anything other than emulate the writers I was constantly reading.

What were you first stories like?  What sort of characters did you write?

No comments: